Monday, February 13, 2012

Technology!


On Saturday, my keyless entry remote for my RAV4 stopped transmitting, leaving Matthew and me stranded in a parking lot. I actually had to use a physical key to manually unlock the driver's door just to get inside. Aren't we so hard done by?

And that isn't the worst part of it. Once I got into my vehicle, I realized I couldn't start the engine — there's no place to insert a key!

Matthew immediately pulled out the owner's manual from the glove compartment and started reading, while I kept pushing the ignition button, hoping that the green light would turn on.

Finally, out of desperation, because we were already late to meet my other son, Daniel, at the music store — believe it or not I still don't have a cell phone — I bowed my head, closed my eyes, and prayed, "God, please start the engine." When I looked up the green light appeared on the ignition button. I was both relieved and thankful as I started the car and drove off.

Matthew was still reading the owner's manual, but he temporarily gave up trying to figure out how to start the engine manually to find the answer to a better question: what type of battery did we need for the remote?

When we arrived at the music store, I did what any intellectual person would do in my situation. I automatically turned off the engine. As Matthew looked at me in disbelief, I sat there dumbfounded at my stupidity. He looked down and started reading the owner's manual again.

Meanwhile, Daniel spotted us in the parking lot and came over to inspect why we hadn't gotten out of our vehicle yet. Once he found out what the problem was, he kicked me out of the driver's seat, and I stood outside shivering in the cold (chivalry is dead) while Daniel and Matthew worked together to start the engine. I, however, came up with a quicker solution. I opened the door and informed Daniel that I started the vehicle the last time by praying. Daniel looked up at me and said, "Then pray!" So I did, out loud, and lo and behold, the green light appeared again. I noticed a crooked smile on Daniel's face. The engine started and off we went to the Toyota dealership to get a battery for my remote.

In the meantime, Matthew was able to discover the answer to our perplexing problem, and he showed me how to start the engine if the battery in the remote were ever to die again. Here are the steps:
  1. Put your foot on the brake.
  2. Touch the Toyota symbol on the remote key to the metal rim of the ignition button on the dash.
  3. When the sound of the buzzer is heard, remove your foot off the brake.
  4. Wait five seconds and push the ignition button. The green light should appear.
  5. Proceed as normal.
Technology!

I thank God that He cares even about the problematic little things in our lives. In fact, the very first miracle that Jesus performed showed His caring concern for such trivial things.

Jesus, His disciples, and His mother, Mary, were all invited to a wedding. But the supply of wine ran out, leaving the guests with nothing to drink. Out of embarrassment, Mary turned to Jesus for help. He told the servants to fill six large stone water jars with water and then pour some for the master of the banquet. When the master tasted the water miraculously turned into wine, he was delighted by its delicious taste.

"Everyone brings out the choice wine first
and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink;
but you have saved the best til now."
John 2:10 (NIV)

I can't help but imagine the nervousness of the servants when they were about to pour water into the master's goblet, and then their relief when the master tasted it and gave it his praise. The servants all probably had crooked smiles on their faces too.

No comments:

Post a Comment