Friday, January 31, 2014

Joy Of The Lord


"Nehemiah said, 'Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks,
and send some to those who have nothing prepared.
This day is holy to our Lord.
Do not grieve,
for the joy of the Lord is your strength.'"
Nehemiah 8:10 (NIV)

The church I attend is having a bake sale this Sunday to raise money for the new downstairs bathrooms. I love to bake, so I am donating cookies. Since Valentines Day is coming up I put my cookies in these pretty boxes I found at the dollar store. These cookies have been a favourite of my sons while growing up. They are called Best-Ever English Tea Cookies. They are not super sweet, but are very addictive. I love them too! especially with a good cup of hot tea. The recipe is below:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar

Cream butter and sugar thoroughly. Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients, using enough flour to make a soft, creamy dough that can be flattened in hands and maintain its shape.
Roll out on lightly floured board with floured rolling pin and cut into shapes. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sprinkle with granulated sugar before baking. If desired, change flavour by using lemon extract or grated lemon or orange rind.

I hope my cookies bring joy to some people's hearts on the Lord's day. I know I had joy in making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment