Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Words That Cannot Be Erased


Yesterday afternoon, as I waited in a hospital bed for a cautionary medical procedure to be done, the nurse assigned to me began talking to me about her childhood. (I like to get to know everyone, so I always ask people a bunch of questions.) Anyways, she happily told me she was born and raised on a farm, and got up early every morning to milk the cows before going to school. She said she dearly loved all the farm animals!

The smile on her face came quickly with her sweet childhood memories, but the smile diminished just as quickly with the recollection of the taunting names the school children use to call her: "Farmgirl! Farmgirl!" or being rudely told, "You stink!" Even though she is almost retired from nursing now, she said those words still haunt her today.

I thought it was interesting that I recently wrote a few posts about the cruelty of words and God orchestrated this meeting. I was deeply sympathetic towards her and tried to encourage her. Afterwards, she thanked me for the chat.

It is truly amazing how the Lord will use the negative experiences in our life to help us understand and share the heartaches and burdens of others.

"Share each other's burdens,
and in this way 
obey the Law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment