Friday, August 09, 2013

We Must Be Subject To Governing Authorities


I am ashamed to say this, but I got my very first speeding ticket two weeks ago. I had two of my sons in the car with me and was listening to the newest release from a popular Christian rock group called Skillet. When I was pulled over by a police officer, I was enjoying one of their songs, pressing on the accelerator a little harder than I should have, and not paying attention to the speedometer at that moment.

As the police man approached my car, bad memories began to flood my mind. When I was a girl growing up, there were many times I was with my father when he was pulled over by a police officer for a traffic violation. And as soon as my father wound down his window and before the police officer had a chance to speak, my father would start yelling and cursing at him. I sat in fear because I knew the violence my father was capable of when he got angry. I believe today the only reason the police officer didn't take further action against my father was because I was in the car with him.

As I wound down my window and waited for the middle-aged police officer to speak to me, he could see I was abashed for my actions. He was very nice. He even cracked a joke, smiled and told me he hoped the rest of the day would turn out better for me. I thanked him and went on my way, watching my speedometer very closely and not listening to rock music.

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities,
for there is no authority
except that which God has established.
The authorities that exist
have been established by God.
Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority
is rebelling against what God has instituted,
and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."
Romans 13:1-2 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment