Thursday, July 07, 2011

No Favourtism With God

The last Bible story to be told to the children in Pandamania Vacation Bible School is found in 1 Samuel 1:1 - 2:11. It is the story of a barren woman named Hannah, who desperately wanted a child and couldn't. To make things worse, she was taunted by her husband's other wife who had many children. However, Hannah was her husband's favourite. Obviously, the other wife's negative actions towards Hannah were most likely fueled by jealousy. (Serves the man right for having two wives and favouring one over the other.)

I know the focus of the story is Hannah. However, I can't help but feel sorry for both of the women. One had the heartache of not having children and the other one, the heartache of having a husband that loved another woman more. The husband even visibly showed his favouritism by giving Hannah double portion of the meat sacrificed to the Lord.

Also, this passage of Scripture states: "And the Lord had closed up her womb." When I read this, I can't help but ask questions, "Why did the Lord close up Hannah's womb?" Was it because God was not pleased when this man and Hannah married? He already had a wife and God blessed the union with multiple children. How come the man wasn't satisfied? Was marrying Hannah a way for this man to justify infidelity? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know that in time God had compassion on Hannah and finally opened up her womb. He gave her a son, which she promised to give back to God at a young age. The son grew to love and serve God in the temple of the High Priest.

I know I have a tendency to look at things differently that most people, but what I learned from reading this story is the importance of not showing favouritism. Fortunately, polygamy is illegal in Canada and United States, so I am applying this principle to parents, teachers, and children's pastors. We need to be very careful never to show favour to one child over the others. This will only cause strife and heartache in the family and ministry. Each child needs to be loved and treated equally. It is very important to do a mental check regularly to make sure we are not  showing any kind of partiality.

It is comforting to know that God never shows favourtism and loves each one of us the same. Your beauty, your intelligence, your talents, your sinful past, your age, or your wealth make absolutely no difference to God in terms of His love and care for you.  I know I wouldn't want to feel the inadequacy and hurt a woman feels when her husband loves another. I am thankful that God is never like that. His love for you will never change. There is not a single person on earth that God loves more than you!

*      *     *

I use to love to draw and colour with pencil crayons when I was young. When I got married, we didn't have a lot of money, so for gifts I would draw pictures and frame them.  

Tim and Matthew also love to draw. For Mother's Day, both of them drew me a picture from my favourite move, Tangled. Tim painted the chameleon, Pascal, and Matthew penciled the horse, Maximus.



Aren't my sons talented? I love home-made gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment