Friday, July 29, 2011

The Birds Sing For Us

In my neighbourhood in the surrounding marshes, there are these beautiful black birds with deep red shoulder patches and yellow wing bars. They are male Red-winged Blackbirds. The females are not as pretty. They are a nondescript dark brown. I have never seen these types of birds before until I moved here.

"The birds of the air nest by the waters:
they sing among the branches."
Psalm 104:12

I find it absolutely amazing that each kind of bird that God created has their own unique song. The Red-winged Blackbird song sounds like a high-pitched whistle: "oak-a-lee". The female song sounds more like chatter: "chit chit chit chit chit chit cheer teer teer teer God sure is creative! I love listening to the different sounds of nature!

Here is a picture of a male Red-winged Blackbird sitting on top of a small tree. My son, Matthew, joined me on my daily walk and took this picture yesterday.


The marshes are nearby, where these birds nest in the cattails, and feed on butterflies and other insects.


Take time today to go outside and close your eyes. Then listen to the distinct and extraordinary sounds of nature. A peace and serenity will enfold you as you do.

*     *     *

Yesterday, on Tim's birthday, Matthew went to his bedroom and closed the door. He drew this picture of his brother on his 2nd birthday, and then presented the picture to Tim afterwards:


I thought he did an amazing job! I also thought it was sweet of him too! My sons' best friends are definitely their brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment