Monday, July 04, 2011

Elijah The Troublemaker

The second Bible story that will be taught to the children on day two of Pandamania Vacation Bible School is the story of Elijah confronting the prophets of Baal. This story is found in 1 Kings 18:16-38.

In this passage of Scripture two verses speak volumes. The first one is found in 1 Kings 18:17. When Ahab sees Elijah, he angrily exclaims, "So, is it really you, you troublemaker of Israel?"

How many times have we as Christians been thought of as a troublemaker when standing up for God and His righteousness? If so, do not be discouraged, but  be encouraged, for the Prophet Elijah, a man faithful to God, was considered one.

When I first moved to this province, I was offered the position of Children's Pastor in a neighbouring town. I had several private meetings with the Lead Pastor of the Church concerning my role and their expectations. The first meeting went well, and I was excited about my new job. However, as time went on, the Spirit of God within me became uneasy. There were things about this Pastor that disturbed me greatly. I earnestly prayed about it and decided to confront the Pastor in the next meeting about those feelings and questions that I had. I knew I was risking my position as Children's Pastor by doing so, but I had to be obedient to the warnings of God. The Pastor's reaction was that of intense anger towards me for daring to question him, confirming what I already knew through the Spirit of God.  My mistake was that I should have brought one of my sons with me. I won't deny that I was hurt, because I was. I shed many tears, retreated inward, and became afraid to venture forth to what God has called me to do. ( I have a tendency to react this way when someone I thought I could or should trust, betrays or hurts me.) However, I thank God for showing me ahead of time that this man wasn't walking righteously with God. My hurt would have been far greater later. I frightened this man because I wasn't gullible. None of God's children are. We have the Spirit of God within us to guide, warn and correct. I guess this Pastor viewed me as a troublemaker, just as the prophets of Baal viewed Elijah. Even though I needed time for emotional healing, I am glad that I stood up to this man and did not allow him to intimidate me any further. I declined the position and reported him in writing to the District Superintendent.

I am now excited to announce that I am again venturing forth. I have recently put my name in with the Pentecostals Assemblies of Canada for a Children's Pastor's job. I eagerly look forward to see what God's plans are for me and my sons in the near future. I would so much appreciate your prayers.

The second verse that speaks to me in this Bible passage is found in verse 21 where Elijah challenges the double-mindedness of the people of Israel.

"How much longer will you waver, hobbling between
 two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him!
But if Baal is God, then follow him!"

The people of this world need to also make a strong, unwavering commitment to God: if they choose to serve Him. It is not a one-day-a-week commitment, but an every day commitment for the rest of their lives. It is not a show, but a genuine heart-felt desire to love God.

Don't be deceived by positions people hold in Churches  and assume that they are truly committed to God. God knows the heart. and their actions speak louder than words. Listen to the voice and stirrings of God's Spirit that resides in you.

*     *     *

I took some pictures yesterday of my flower beds. Where I used to live, my neighbour's yard always looked like Butcher Gardens. I tried to remember all that she taught me about gardening. Whenever, she was sad, upset or anxious about something, she would go out into her garden to work; and her spirits would be lifted. I learned so much from her. What a blessing she was to me!


And just to think when I first moved here, the property was nothing but dirt and clay. I had seven dump truck loads of top soil brought in. Tim moulded the flower beds for me and I grew the grass from seed, the only one in the neighbourhood that did. My neighbours approached me and told me I was crazy. (I don't know why people keep saying that to me.) Anyways, just to be on the safe side, I prayed over the seeds and asked God to bless them. I was worried that I was going to look a fool to my neighbours. You see, I thought it would be more rewarding to watch grass grow from seeds and, of course, less expensive than turf.

I love watering my flowers in the evening. It gives me so much pleasure. I always sense God's presence with me as I water my flowers and think what it must have been like for Adam and Eve in the beautiful Garden of Eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment