Saturday, May 04, 2013

For I Know The Plans I Have For You

One Sunday five weeks ago, I was upstairs in my bedroom chatting with my husband Brian, when suddenly I felt compelled to go to the Alberta and NWT Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada website. At first I stubbornly ignored these promptings---I had lost interest in working for a PAOC church in Edmonton. However, the voice I kept hearing in my head wouldn't let up. But then again, neither would I.

After several hours of fighting with what I thought was myself, I began to think maybe it was God who was speaking to me. Giving in, I pessimistically sat down by my computer and went to the website in question. Upon clicking a link entitled "job postings," I was shocked to learn that there was actually another PAOC church in the near city, previously unbeknown to me, who needed a Children's Ministry Leader! I was instantly excited---for two seconds that is---just long enough for the memories of past experiences to come to the forefront of my mind. I reasoned with God as to why I shouldn't apply. Then I tried to forget about it.

To ease my conscience, I phoned the church that my family and I have been happily attending for the last eight months and arranged for me and one of my sons to meet with the Transitional Lead Pastor. I decided I was going to have my own plan and volunteer my help with the children's ministry there.

When I met with the Pastor, he was wonderful and kind towards us. He even spent time showing us all around the church. However, when the Pastor introduced us to one of the leaders of the children's ministry, leaving us to talk with her, the atmosphere quickly changed. It was obvious that she wasn't interested in my help. Instead, she was cold towards us. When she gave me a bunch of papers to fill out and told me specifically that she wanted a reference from within the church, I knew the reason for her aloofness: I was a PAOC Bible College graduate wanting to do ministry in a different denomination. Since I was new to the church, I obviously wouldn't be able to give her the reference she desired.

When I came back home, I disgustingly threw the papers away. I didn't want to go back to a PAOC church again, but God continued to pester me about it anyways. I was glad I was going on holidays soon. I figured that once I was far away in beautiful Sedona, Arizona, I wouldn't think about the job posting any more. Wrong! I thought about it lots, and, when I got back home, I knew what I had to do. I figured if God had continued to bug me about it even in Arizona, it was about time I trusted Him. I therefore sent the PAOC church my resume.

The day I emailed the pastor my resume, I got a call. An appointment was set for me and my husband to meet with him the next day. At this meeting, I shared with the pastor my heart's desires. As I did, tears began to well up in his eyes, and he began to share with Brian and me his prayers to find godly musicians and a leader for children's ministries. Now it was my time to wipe the tears from my eyes. Why had I taken so long to be obedient to God?

God has a plan! And my family and I are part of it. So is everyone who is His child. We just need to listen to His voice and follow the path He has laid out for us.


"'For I know the plans I have for you',
says the Lord.
'They are plans for good
and not for disaster,
to give you a future
and a hope.'"
Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment