Sunday, May 19, 2013

Persevere And Stand Strong

Yesterday, when my sons and I were at Chapters Book Store, I noticed an elderly man sitting behind a table displaying his new book entitled, "Out Of My Mind." As I pondered his title, curious as to what the title implied, I walked past. On the way out, I did the same, but when I got to the store's front door, God spoke to me to go up to him, so I turned around and obeyed, not having a clue why.

He watched me approach him, and politely waited for me to speak first. I said, "Hi." Then the man began to talk to me about his life.

When he was forty-eight years old, he was seriously injured riding his bike. A truck had hit him and as a result both of his legs were amputated. He is now eighty years old and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years ago. (I wondered if this was the reason for his book's title, but I never asked.) His book was the second he has written, and both books are a collection of his short stories and poems.

When the man finished talking, I felt compelled to tenderly ask him, "Do you know God?"

The man looked at me with surprise and told me that he used to know God, but since the accident lost his belief in Him.

I felt very sad for him and still do. I have been praying for him since, hoping that my words would have trigged him to think about God once more before his disease overtakes his mind.

We chatted some more. When it was time for me to go, I thanked him, told him how nice it was to meet him, and then reached out my hand to shake his.

Times of trials and troubles either bring people closer to God or further away. Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial and stands the test because that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him.


"Blessed is the one
who perseveres under trial
because, having stood the test,
that person will receive 
the crown of life
that the Lord has promised to those
who love Him."
James 1:12 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment