Tuesday, August 09, 2011

In Every Situation


Last night while I was washing a few dishes and cleaning the inside of a glass, the glass broke and cut the back of my hand. I know what you are thinking: "Not again! You just cut yourself last week." My husband thought the same thing and told me that he is going to have to quit his job just to take care of me. I had to pause and think about that for a moment. No, I didn't do this on purpose.

Anyways, when I examined the cut, I forlornly realized that I needed stitches. As Brian was driving me to the medical clinic, I prayed and asked God to not have me wait hours at the clinic for a doctor to see me. When I entered the waiting room, I saw approximately 15 despondent people waiting. I instantly regretted the selfishness of my prayer. I went up to the receptionist holding a towel around my hand. When she asked what the problem was, I said, "I think I need stitches." I then lifted the towel and showed her the cut. She looked at me strangely as if to say, "You think so?" Then she got up and said, "The doctor will see you right away." I stood there frozen, looking at the shocked faces of the other patients. I just couldn't go in front of all those people, so I sat down with the rest of them, pretending I didn't hear. Then the receptionist came back and firmly said, "Follow me." I obeyed. What was I supposed to do? I really wished at the moment I could just become invisible — I should have prayed that request instead. However, once the door was closed, I felt better. I didn't have to see the dismal faces of all those waiting patients.

The young doctor came in soon and stitched up my hand. He was very kind and gentle until he told the nurse to give me a tetanus shot. I did not want a tetanus shot! I had one over ten years ago when I stepped on a rusty nail with my bare foot. The reaction was far worse that the injury. All my muscles painfully ached throughout the night. I couldn't sleep at all. I tried to sweetly talk the doctor out of it. He wouldn't have any of it. I got the tetanus shot. I prayed a second prayer, "God please don't let me react to this shot." As I left the room, I saw that the waiting area now held about 30 gloomy people. I wanted to be invisible again or say something enlightening. The only thought came to my mind was, "It really was a big boo-boo." I didn't think that was going to work, so I just hung my head down and quietly walked out, making visible the large bandage on my hand.

Well, as I write this blog, I am praising God for answered prayer. No, not for the first one, the second one. I had absolutely no side effects what so ever from the tetanus shot. My hand hurts and it is hard to type, but I am very thankful to God.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Phillippians 4:6

Don't be timid to ask God for things. It is not God's will for us to be anxious about anything. The Bible says that in 'every' situation present your requests to Him. God will answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment