Sunday, August 07, 2011

My Wedding Anniversary

Today is my wedding anniversary and I can't help but fondly reminisce the day my husband, Brian, and I first met.

I was at Bible College on a warm, sunny day in early September. I was standing outside of the entrance to the college chatting casually with Brian's sister. She was friendly and easy to talk to. Then Brian drove up in his green pickup truck to take his sister and another female student to the island with him for the weekend so they could all visit with their families. When he saw me standing by his sister, he assumed it was me that he was taking along on the trip. He excitedly got out of his truck and leaped like a gymnast into his truck's box. My first thought was, "Does he normally do that?" He then took his sister's suitcase and when he looked at me again, he realized to his disappointment that I didn't have one. I guess he didn't notice the other girl standing there with a suitcase in her hand. I then said my good-byes and left. Brian later grilled his sister with questions about me

I had just ended my relationship with my boyfriend of six months, so I wasn't interested in dating anyone at that time.

The following week, on Wednesday night, Brian came up to visit and stay for chapel. After the service in the foyer, I noticed a number of girls had surrounded him, trying to gain his affection. I soon paid no more attention and started thinking about heading back to the dorms. I was really in no mood to socialize. Then Brian's sister grabbed a hold of my arm and told me she wanted to introduce me to her brother. I shook my head and politely said, "No, I don't think so." Ignoring my reluctance, she kept hold of my arm and proceeded to lead me in Brian's direction. I was embarrassed at first until I noticed Brian's smile and fixed eyes upon me. From that moment on, Brian's focus was on me and me alone. Most of the girls had scattered, except for one determined girl. She hung around. Brian and I talked for a while, and then he invited me to go with him to McDonalds, a common place for Bible College students to go after chapel. I agreed. Who can resist McDonald's french fries when you are feeling depressed? I remember sitting across from him, both of us eating french fries and talking casually. Then that one determined girl came up and sat right next to him. Being insecure at the time and hesitant to start another relationship so soon, I said to myself, "If he pays much attention to her, I will never agree to go out with him again". To my surprise, he ignored her completely. She finally got the message and left. After that day, my heart started to heal and I began to trust Brian's loyalty and goodness. He is a man of integrity and his love is true and unwavering.

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
Psalm 147:3

God is good and He does heal the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.


It will also be in September, the same month we met, that we will be holidaying in Prince Edward Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment