Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Power Of The Tongue

The Prairies have a large variety of mushrooms and some of them are huge! On my walk the other day, I took some pictures of these mushrooms that are the size of luncheon plates.

I placed my foot beside this mushroom so you could see just how large it was.


The one above actually had an intricate design on top.

The mushrooms below had a frilly edge and an angelic appearance. (Ok, maybe I am getting a little carried away here with my descriptions.)


I don't know the names for these types of mushrooms or if they are edible or poisonous. However, I do know I am not going to eat one and find out.

As most know, some mushrooms can be fatal if digested while others are edible providing large amounts of nutrients for the human body. Some believe eating the non-poisonous mushrooms regularly can help the fight against cancer because they contain so many nutritional health benefits.

The tongue is like that. The Bible says the tongue has the power to give life or death.

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue."
Proverbs 8:21

With the tongue, we can cruelly criticize, humiliate, control, manipulate, speak uncaring words, lie, and tempt others to do evil. These vile practices of the tongue can cause deep long-lasting hurt and insecurities which may eventually lead people to addictions, crime, depression, and suicide.

On the other hand, the tongue can also encourage, tell the truth, give sincere compliments, speak lovingly, offer help, show concern, and give praise to our Heavenly Father. Our words and how we say them can make a huge difference in our marriage, in our relationships, in raising children, in witnessing to others about Jesus, and in aiding the healing process of the physically and mentally ill.

Just like eating a mushroom can either cause sickness and death, or provide great nutritional health benefits, the tongue can do the same. The tongue can either tear down and destroy, or build up and give vitality.

When I was eighteen years old, a young man, in whom I was interested, came to visit me one Friday afternoon at Bible college. We stood outside of the dorms and chatted in the lightly falling rain. I was getting a bit wet, but I didn't care. I was just excited to be with him, that is until he looked at my hair and asked with unabashed confidence, "How often do you wash your hair?" Being a normal self-conscious teenager, I was completely horrified and humiliated at the young man's insinuation. Trying not to give him the satisfaction of showing my inner feelings and true reaction, I calmly spoke and replied, "I usually wash it every day, but sometimes I may skip a day if I am studying for exams. Right now my hair is wet from the rain." Nothing more was said, but inside I was angry and hurt. His comment was not easily forgotten.

When my father later came to pick me up that night to take me home for the weekend, I asked my mother if I could have my hair cut Saturday. An appointment was made and foolishly I told the hairdresser to cut my hair extremely short and sassy-looking. I was hoping this new style would ease my hurt and make my insecurity go away. Instead it made it worse. My first thought after the cut was, "I look like a boy!" and instantly regretted what I had impulsively done.

Then Sunday night came for me to head back to the college. I was so embarrassed and ashamed at what I had done. "How could I allow someone's comment make me do something I would never have initially done?" I told a few people in confidence when I arrived as to what happened, but my hair cut and the reason for it spread through the student body like wildfire, making the whole situation even worse. Then one young man changed everything. He came up to me Monday morning during my first class and genuinely told me he liked my hair cut. He told me I looked really cute. His thoughtful and sweet comment healed my hurt and gave me back my self-esteem. Oh how words can hurt and oh how words can heal.

I am sure the first young man didn't mean to be rude and purposefully hurt me. He just didn't think before he spoke like all of us at some time or another. May we all try harder to control our tongue, and use it only to give delight and be a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment