Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Lord Is My Rock

From my early to late teenage years, I would very seldom sleep in my own bed. I would lay awake at night, waiting until everyone in the house was asleep and all was quiet. Then I would take my quilt, go downstairs to get my dog, a Sheltie, and come back upstairs again to sleep behind the dark brown couch that was positioned against one wall in the living room. I did this for many years, even after my dog died. Nobody in my family ever caught on. This was my secret and it made me feel safe and secure. I was still warm and snug in my home, but in a place where no one could find me. I also enjoyed the comfort of my dog right beside me while I slept.

My alarm clock was my dad. Every day he got up at five, prepared breakfast and ate while listening to the news on the radio. This would wake me up. When I would hear the front door close, I would get up, put my dog away and go back into my own bed. Even to this day nobody in my family knows  of this.

A dog's love is unconditional and unwavering. My dog made me feel loved. I also felt safe hiding in a small place where I couldn't be found.

As I grew in the love and knowledge of God, I began to feel safe and secure in His love and care for me. God became my Rock and my Fortress. He is now my covering of protection and safety. I am in no longer need of that couch to hide behind.

The Bible is Psalms 18:2 states:

"The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Saviour; my God is my Rock,
in Whom I find protection. He is my Shield, the power
 that saves me, and my place of safety."
Psalms 18:2


No comments:

Post a Comment