Friday, August 26, 2011

Tying Shoe Laces

My heart was won during the early days of my courtship to Brian. He had just come to my house on the weekend to take me out. I went to get my shoes and once the shoes were on my feet, Brian immediately bent down in front of me to tie my shoelaces. Most men open car doors for women, and he did that too. I just never saw or heard of a man tying a woman's shoelaces when she was quite capable of doing it herself. My first reaction was embarrassment and disbelief. "What are doing? I can do that!" Brian's response was, "I know. I just want to do it for you." Brian then got up, smiled and took my hand. This act of devotion continued throughout our dating period, during the four times I was pregnant and even today sometimes. I now view it as a very romantic and a sweet gesture.


I grew up without ever knowing a father's love. He was there, but distant. He spoke words, but they were meaningless and void of feeling. I never received a compliment from him or any words of encouragement. He gave no physical affection. It was like he was inhuman and he frightened me. He could physically hurt someone and not show any kind of remorse. Then I had several relationships with Christian boyfriends that left me feeling ever more insecure and skeptical of love. I had a hard time trusting someone. I was still learning to trust in God's love. Then one day Brian came along, knelt in front of me, tied my shoelaces and won my heart.

Jesus did the same for His beloved disciples when He knelt down and washed their feet. If they had shoes in those days instead of sandals, there would have been no need to wash their feet. Instead Jesus would have gathered each of the disciples shoes one pair at a time, knelt down before each of them, lovingly placed the shoes on their feet and tied their shoelaces. It is interesting to note that Peter's initial reaction was the same as mine when Brian first tied my shoelaces. I guess that is why I can easily relate to Peter more than any of the other disciples. Just like my heart was touched, how much more did Jesus's act of love and servanthood touch the hearts of all those disciples and ours today. When Brian first tied my shoes and continued to do so, I felt a healing in the open wounds of my heart. All the past hurt and disappointments slowly seem to vanish. How could one simple act do that much good? But it did! I believe God sent Brian to heal my heart and I believe it was God who motivated him to do this loving act. Brian responded to voice of God, a heart was healed and a wife obtained.

"I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you."
John 13:15

Jesus is our example. May we respond to the promptings of God and act like Jesus, showing humility, love and a servant's heart by doing just the simplest acts for others. It can do so much more than words ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment