Monday, June 06, 2011

The Peace Of God

My sons and I are getting ready for Vacation Bible School 2011, and the theme this year is Pandamania. I have already written the plays for each day of the week, and the costumes are also complete. Matthew and I had a great time searching for them at the local used stores. However, we bought this costume new. Matthew plays the panda. We will post the dramas during the week of VBS this July for you all to watch.

Matthew in the panda costume holding a baby panda:


I won't say anything more. I don't want to give away the plot.

The children are encouraged to memorize a Scripture verse for each day of the week during VBS. I believe helping children to memorize Scripture is very important because then God will bring to their minds the verses they have learned when they need to hear them the most.

As a reward for the children learning the verses, I will give them these cute velvety panda puppets that I found at the dollar stores. Can you believe that? I only paid $2 for each panda. I then stuffed their tummies full and stitched them up. They are so adorable! I will give them to the children at the end of the week. I will also give each child this picture that Chris took of the pandas with the verse on it about God's peace. I plan on framing them with bamboo frames. Some of the pandas are sitting in and near an authentic Chinese rickshaw hat that Matthew spotted at a used store.

"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose
thoughts are fixed on You." 
Isaiah 26:3


I chose this verse because in China the panda is a symbol of peace. They eat primarily bamboo and do not prey on other animals for food. In the distant past, if China was at war with other countries, the battle would immediately be halted and peace be established, if a flag was raised picturing a panda. Even to this day, China will give pandas to nations as a gesture of peaceful relations.

Pandas may be a symbol of peace in China, but only God can establish true peace in our hearts when we trust in Him and keep our thoughts on what God says in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment