Sunday, June 12, 2011

Playing The Piano

One of my brothers and I use to love to sing growing up. I would also enjoy singing with one my cousins when we would spend the summers together. When I went to Bible College, I learned to read and write music more in depth. The music courses were some of my favorite courses, probably because music is quite mathematical.

Then when I graduated, my husband bought me an old upright player piano from his boss to fulfil my desire to learn to play the piano since I was a young girl. I then found a piano teacher that would come to my house, while Daniel, just a baby at the time, jumped in the jolly jumper entertaining himself. I practised two hours a day, and accelerated at a fast pace.

When my sons were old enough, I then taught all my sons to play the piano. I ended up teaching two hours a day, a half hour per child. I loved it! My sons were all gifted in music and it was a joy to see them develop their talents. Parents would hear them play and the next thing I knew I had more students than I had the time for. Later we became a family band.

Here is a picture of Daniel trying to play the first piano my husband bought me. We had to move the piano bench away so he wouldn't try to climb it and risk hurting himself. He still managed to reach his fingers to the keys and try to play like his mommy.


Daniel was the only son that when he played the piano he would break strings constantly because he would put his whole self into it. Just think, I wanted a girl so I could teach her to play the piano! Instead, God gave me four sons that play.

"Praise the Lord,
Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty heavens.
Praise Him for His acts of power;
Praise Him for His surpassing greatness.
Praise Him with the sounding of the trumpet,
Praise Him with the harp and lyre,
Praise Him with timbrel and dancing,
Praise Him with the strings and pipe,
Praise Him with the clash of cymbals,
Praise Him with resounding cymbals.
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord."
Psalm 150

When I learned to play the piano I studied classical and gospel; but when I taught my sons, they learned only Christian songs, traditional and contemporary. At an amazing young age, they all started playing for church. The joy and satisfaction of singing and playing your instrument to God surpasses any secular song or music!

No comments:

Post a Comment